Sunday 26 November 2023

“I left an old cabinet-scented room”

“I left an old cabinet-scented room”


I left an old cabinet-scented room 
And to wander the place where jasmine flowers bloom soon 
Leaving the place where a people tries to forget its past 
To another where history’s remnants till today last 
I left the country where people always say “move on” 
Yet talks about nostalgia as if they enjoy upon 
Such as that of a childhood days sometimes cringe 
As that of spanking on their asses or a drinking binge 
I find their taste of the past sometimes nonsensical 
As opposed to their future dreams quite delusional 
While the other values it’s history for the future 
The way it values knowledge that’s to nurture 
How beautiful Manila is, trying to be the city of man 
Yet reality urges us to face life that’s damned 
The system whose followers cried much about their idyllic past 
Yet that same oppressive past still continuous, how long will it last? 

As I wander the streets of Bangkok everything’s in place 
As that of skyscrapers, old structures for us to amaze 
Be it the Wat Arun, Wat Phra Kew, to a lowly shrine 
The old city of angels stood the test of time 
That made me wonder why their heritage truly lasts 
As opposed to those trying to forget its past? 
I guess mayors and legislators willing to sacrifice everything 
For theirs these as worthless for a few that to theirs meant something 
An old structure in Manila stood by decades end befall 
No matter it witnessed times, lives and all 
Just for a “modern” edifice out of cold steel and glass 
No matter how beauteous it appears, in the eyes of many it is crass 
What an embarrassment to hear them valuing a community’s history 
When reality I find them benefiting from a continuing past that’s full of misery 

Again I left that old cabinet scented airport room but with hopes for my country to carry 
That just like its neighbour whose jasmine flowers blossom there’s no need to worry.